Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Life in La Crosse

Well hello again.

Since the last post...
-took and passed two drug tests.
-got two jobs (Radisson Bartender/Banquet Server and Family and Children Center (the latter consist of working with At-Risk Youth (they are kids who are rebels and get into fights (as I've experienced with a kid throwing a punch at another kid and then having him come back at him w
ith a butter knife a few days later)))). The FCC is pretty good for the most part, we pick them up from their alternative rebel's only school, bring them back to the residence building, play catch outside, cook food, possibly go off grounds to the Library/Mall/Roller rink/Park, then usually watch some TV and go to bed. But there is so much drama! You'd think they'd buddy up and treat each other like brothers but they are constant at odds with each other and Staff. I've had to learn to wipe the smile off my face because they'd think I'm a walk-over if I'm too nice. I've learned to be firm.
-have been reading some books (Lord of the Rings).
-I'm attempting to sell a car ($1,800! what a deal, just buy it already so I can save money and take the public transportation everywhere).
-have had numerous dinner parties.
-have made some new buddies
-and now I just got a new job!

WisCorps (my position is funded through YES AmeriCorps, a State/National branch, which may mean nothing to you, just know it's not a traveling one like NCCC)

Real Quick how I got it: I was at a live music night at a local coffee shop, wearing my AmeriCorps hoodie, bluegrass folk music playing, promotion night for WisCorps. This is on Wed. night, I talked with Matt the pioneer who started WisCorps for about an hour that night and set up another coffee date in a couple of days to hear more a
bout it. Friday turned out to be an informal interview. Ok send me your resume/ cover letter over the weekend. Monday came the formal interview and it went great and I got the job. (6 days later!)

What is WisCorps: During the summer there'll be about 20 crews with 6-8 kids (16-18 year old) who will be building trails all over Wisconsin. They'll have two sessions where they'll camp out for 4 weeks at a time and build some awesome trails. My job is to make that happen (along with my boss of course).

What I'll be doin to
make it happen: I'll be finding places for them to build, looking into buying tools for them and other equipment, getting food for them, transportation, hiring the students, hiring the 20 some young adult supervisors, training both groups, supervising the groups when they're out there. Don't worry, this won't be all on me, I'll have Matt too.

Who's this Matt guy? He is an outdoor enthusiast as well who went to school here, moved out to Vermont to work for their equivalent Corps for 4 years. He gleaned all he could from their system and thought "We need one of these back in Wisconsin." So he learned what he needed to learn, wrote some grants, put in many hours w
ithout pay for the past year or two, raised some money and found an AmeriCorps member to help him carry out his vision. He can't be older than thirty either. Very driven guy, very positive, direct and caring. A good guy to work with. (Camp people: he reminds me of Joe Van Tassel)

So yeah, thats about it. Here are some massive rocks they moved last summer to make a retaining wall. 500-700 lbs each.













be well!

No comments: